ENERGY STAR VERSION 6 COMPLIANT INSTALLATION METHODS
Alliance New Construction Window Installation
Preparing the Opening
- Before installation, read instructions thoroughly and be sure window is closed and locked. Make sure window opening is free from any dirt or debris. In order for the caulk to work properly both surfaces must be clean and dry.
- Apply a bead of high-performance caulk (within 3/8” from the edge) around the exterior perimeter of the window opening. This becomes the primary seal between the window and the building.
Installing the Window
- Lift and place the window into the rough opening, use the proper help and/or equipment needed to install window properly and safely.
- Place the sill on shims located on the sill plate. Press the window firmly into the caulk and loosely fasten one of the upper corners.
- Check the sill for level, shim as necessary at the jamb ends. Check the frame for plumb and the jambs for straightness, shim as necessary.
- Open the sash and close it almost to the sill (SH, DH) or jamb (Gliders). Insure that there is an even gap or margin between the sash and the frame, and that the sashes are square with the frame.
- Verify squareness by checking diagonal measurements.
- Fasten the window frame to the rough framing through the center of the slots in the nail fin. DO NOT OVER NAIL FINS, fins should be parallel with sheathing. Over nailing can twist jambs and impair sash operation. The frame should remain straight ad not bow. This will prevent problems with sashes operating correctly.
- Cover nail fin with 4-6” width of ice and water shield or similar product to further prevent water penetration.
Important: For brick applications allow a minimum of 1/4″ between the frame and brick for expansion and settling.
Download Installation Instructions
Caution: DO NOT DRILL THROUGH THE SILL OF ALLIANCE VINYL WINDOWS TO INSTALL ALARMS.
Alliance Replacement Window Installation
Important: Measure new window before removing old one.
- Depending on existing window style, remove sash and balance system (Pulley, jamb, liner, etc.).
- Remove inside stops. Score first with razor knife and use special care in removal if the existing inside stops are to be reinstalled.
- Cut cords and remove lower sash.
- Remove parting stops and remove upper sash.
- Clear opening of all old balance hardware.
- Head, sill and jambs must be free and clear of protruding objects (nails-pulleys).
- Properly clean the opening of dirt and debris.
- Install head expander and sill leg if necessary and where they apply. Caulk the blind stops and insulate sill.
- Position window in opening with sash locked and compress it tightly against the caulked stops and sill.
- Plumb, square and level window in opening so that sashes are square with the main frame.
- Run all four installation screws until just snug, first the top two, then the bottom two, centering the frame from side to side and checking to be sure the frame remains square. Temporarily shimming each corner as you run the screws helps to keep the frame centered and square.
- Using jamb adjusters or wood shims make sure each jamb is straight and the main frame measures the same at the opening at the top, middle and bottom. Insulate around frame at jamb and head.
- Check window for proper operation, locking and fit. Make adjustments as necessary.Download Installation Instructions
Caution: DO NOT USE EXPANDING TYPE FOAM INSULATION. ALLIANCE FOAM NON-EXPANDING FOAM OR EQUIVALENT IS RECOMMEND.